Pathways2Possibilities is an interactive career expo designed for all 8th graders in private and public schools in the six lower counties of Mississippi. It is set to take place on November 13 and 14, 2013 at the Mississippi Coast Convention Center in Biloxi from 9:00 a.m. – 2 p.m. each day. Each student will have 120 minutes to experience four – eight Pathways, which are aligned with the career Pathways set forth by the Mississippi Department of Education.
The Pathways also link to the Common Core state standards. The students will be prepped during class before attending the event in order to familiarize them with the Pathways ahead of time. Each Pathway is led by a Pathfinder who has coordinated the Pathway members to design and implement a hands-on activity intended to inspire the students to further explore that Pathway. Software is used before and after the event to help the students corral their thoughts about the event and encourage a direction for their high school Pathway choice.
Pathways2Possibilities is modeled after Worlds of Opportunity (WOO) in Mobile, Alabama hosted by the Southwest Alabama Workforce Development Council. There is an excellent and brief video at http://www.sawdc.org about the WOO success. WOO organizers have been gracious and generous in helping Mississippi create P2P.
- Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources
- Architecture & Construction
- Arts, A/V Technology & Communication
- Business Management & Administration
- Education & Training
- Government & Public Administration
- Health Sciences
- Hospitality & Tourism
- Human Services
- Information Technology
- Law, Public Safety, Corrections & Security
- Engineering & Polymer Science
- Marine Science
- Transportation, Distribution & Logistics
Volunteer activities include:
- Greeting schools on each bus once they pull up.
- Welcoming students as they enter.
- Passing out hard hats and bags.
- Helping with the hospitality room for volunteers and Pathway participants, includes serving lunch.
- Helping guide people
- Serving as runners for the Pathways
- Monitoring the registration & guest table
- Overseeing the camera distribution and collection for the photography project
To volunteer, visit http://www.pathways2possibilities.org/volunteers.html